Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Water saving outside the home.

The exterior of a home can use as much water as the inside. Strategies include planting native vegetation that doesn't need supplementary water. If you're irrigating, you need to set up your turf zones separately from your planted areas, and use drip irrigation whenever you can to cut down on evaporation. Also, containing the rainwater from the roof for reuse is a cool idea. I'm not convinced rain barrels are the ticket, although I'm experimenting with one at my Gilbert,SC residence. I saw a program on TV where they said one inch of rain from a typical roof area can total 700 gallons. That's a lot of barrels. Of course they make underground tanks, and I saw a real cool bladder that goes under your deck and can easily store that much. I think for my situation it makes more sense just to get water from my pond and work with that. If I see some new products in this area I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment